Hey you guys!
Been a long long time.. I know.
Guess what? I opened an instagram page called kolbynilu. Kol is a Hebrew word meaning ‘everything’. In that page I post everything and anything I make or bake or do.. from hairstyles to makeup to nail art and food. Please do spread the word and show me some love and follow @kolbynilu. I hope to expand and start off a YouTube channel in the near future as well.
So that’s it about me. How have you been?
hey all you amazing people…
I am truly sorry for not blogging for sometime…. my life just got a whole lot busier. What with having to move houses, first came the house hunt.. ugh. Then… packing and clearing everything from the old house and moving them into the new one.. breaking and losing a few stuff along the way (double ugh). then finally settling in. Even though there are a few boxes unpacked at the new house I still found the time to talk to y’all ❤
Ok so this is loooooooong overdue but I think you guys can do this anytime of the year. As you know it was Valentine’s day :p lol. I did my nails to aid to the theme.. LOVE. Love doesn’t necessarily mean a guy or a girl. As far as I know.. Love is God. Period. So here’s what I came up with..
John 3:16 (NIV)
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
So here’s how to do it..
You can do all your nails in one color but I did pink for my ring finger and my thumb and french tips for the rest.
Using a toothpick, some black nail polish and a steady hand just write whatever you want. I chose to write the word ‘Love’ and my fav scriture verse.
Top it off with a clear top coat an your done!
Hope you guys give it a go…
Alright guys, I decided to treat my family by making them all pizza for lunch today. And in just one hour I had made a tomato base sauce, pizza dough, grilled chicken, chopped up all my veggies and had the first pizza in the oven! I was pretty impressed, if I say so myself…
Its gonna be a long tutorial but bear with me cos the result is ah-mazing!
First off, The tomato pizza base sauce
6 tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp lime juice
4 tbsp sugar (not shown in pic)
8 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tbsp ginger (grated)
- Boil water in a pan
- Put the tomatoes in for 2 minutes
- Shock the boiled tomatoes in an ice bath
- peel the skin off
- In a juicer bled together the rest of the ingredients along with the skinned tomatoes
- Put in back in the pan and let it simmer for a while until the tomato sauce has thickened ( my tomato sauce wasn’t red but still.. so YUM)
- And you’re ready! Freeze any left over tomato sauce in a muffin tray for later 🙂
And as for my dough..this is the best pizza crust I’ve ever made! It’s not heavy at all, my family went for thirds and fourths 😛
yeild: 2 large rectangular pizzas
skill: Ugh.. easy peasy (my sister Heaven could make it!)
2pkt active dry yeast (about 26g)
4 tbsp melted margarine
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar (not shown in pic)
400 ml warm water
- Preheat oven at 175°C, 347°F
- Dissolve the sugar and yeast with the warm water in a bowl
- In a large bowl mix the salt and flour together
- Now make a well in the center and pour the yeast mixture and melted margarine and mix it together (all the flour does not have to be incorporated)
- Dump the contents of the bowl onto a clean surface and incorporate all the flour
- Bake for 20 mins
- That’s it.. no hours to rise and stuff.. just a quickie pizza dough 🙂
For my toppings.. I wanted to try a veg topping cos I’ve never done that and the results? OMG.. never going back! And for the chicken loving part of us I made a grilled Chicken topping as well.
400 g Chicken
1 tbsp Tandoori masala
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Chilli powder
4 Capsicums (roughly chopped)
2 Sliced tomatoes
1 Onion (thinly sliced)
200g Shredded Mozzarella
1 cup Cilantro (chopped)
2 tbsp Dried Oregano
1 tbsp Dried Thyme
2 tsp Soy Sauce
3 ladles Pizza Base Sauce
2 cups Spinach (chopped)
2 Tomatoes (thinly sliced)
1 Onion (thinly sliced)
100g Button Mushrooms (sliced)
100g Tofu (cubed)
2 tbsp Dried Oregano
1 tbsp Dried Thyme
4 Cream Cheese Triangles
100g Shredded Mozzarella
- As for the chicken.. I marinated it with the tandoori masala, salt, pepper powder and chilli powder for 10 minuted and grilled it off on a non stick pan.
- On my rolled pizza dough.. I spread the base sauce, layed the onion, capsicums, chicken, an then sprinkled the dried herbs, sprinkled some soy sauce, mozzarella and cilantro and baked it for 20 mins until the crust was golden.
- For the veg… spread the base sauce, sprinkled the spinnach, mushrooms, tofu and chunks of the cheese slices, mozzarella and tomato slices. Bakes for 20 mins and done!
GRILLED TANDOORI CHICKEN
You know… I was thinking today of how I never share my recipes with anyone. Whenever people say my food is awesome and want the recipe I do everything to change the subject.. but this year has changed. I’ve changed.. I really hope you guys give this a try… its super simple and super yummy!
Photo Credits: Josh
I often get questioned on how my eye makeup stays put for ages.. people think I just wear makeup and sit like a princess without doing anything at all… the answer? Primer. My budget friendly answer? My Homemade Primer. It’s super quick and easy to make and a little goes a long way. Not only will your eye shadows last it will appear to be much more prominent than when applied sans primer.
A lot of people make the mistake of not wearing a primer prior to applying their eye shadow and complain about how their eye shadow creases or couldn’t last a couple hours. I live in a very humid country and my eye makeup would run down my face in 30 mins if I don’t prime. So, here’s my homemade remedy for the ever so annoying eye makeup goop.
All you need:
A Trusty Creamy Concealer
In a steel ladle over a candle melt together 1 tbsp of Vaseline, 1 tbsp of powder foundation and a teeny bit of concealer. Stir with a toothpick until everything is combined. Pour the liquid mix into a clean container and allow it to cool in the freezer for at least an hour. It will set as a cream as it cools. If you are not happy with the consistency you can add more of the ingredients as necessary. You’re eye shadow primer is ready! 🙂
tip of the day
I dab a teeny bit of loose powder foundation over my primer just to give make it a little extra crease proof.
eyes are captivatingly beautiful. Not because of the color but because of the words they hold within them…
Love, Nilu ❤
About the title… my favorite animated movie is How To Train a Dragon. So this is my version of a super fudgy, dark, chocolate brownie-like cupcake inspired by Toothless 😀 And to explain the rosettes.. well, my sister had planned a floral themed picnic party for her friend and wanted me to add something floral. But you don’t have to do that.
Here’s a step by step pictorial, the ingredients and method are listed below 🙂
Yield: 24 cupcakes
Skill: Super easy
12 tbsp vegetable oil
20ml freshly brewed coffee
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 ½ cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp soda bicarbonate
1 cup cocoa powder
200g + 200g confectioner’s sugar
1½ cup cocoa powder
3tbsp hot milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp corn flour
- Preheat oven at 175°C (347°F)
- Put all the wet ingredients along with the sugar in a food processor and blitz it up until the sugar has dissolved. You can use an electric beater to beat it up if you want to. I just wanted a very quick and easy cupcake.
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the center and pour the wet ingredients in while stirring with a large whisk. Stir till the mix is smooth and glossy.
- Line your muffin tray with cupcake liners and pour your batter in.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- For the frosting: in a food processor blitz up butter, milk, 1 cup cocoa powder and 200g confectioners sugar till smooth and lump free.
- In a bowl mix the rest of the cocoa powder, confectioners sugar and cream of tar tar and add the blitz up frosting. Mix well. Add more confectioner’s sugar/cocoa depending on your preference of sweetness/consistency.
- Decorate the cooled cupcakes and enjoy! 🙂
I made royal icing rosettes to decorate my cupcakes. Comment below and let me know if you want a tutorial on those.
Photo Credits to my brother Josh
A bit too late to say ‘welcome to 2016’, but sure isn’t too late to say ‘welcome to 2016 with a clear perspective!’
2015 was a very trying year and has certainly given me a much higher and clearer perspective. I just wanna share my experience with you guys from this year on. It’s gonna be an awesome year, because this time we are gonna make sure we have control of everything that enters our lives. We will be in control of what and who makes us happy… and just keep sailing 🙂
So, about my blog… I guess I’ll be blogging about anything. I have a big family (like seriously) that I love to pieces, an older brother, an older sister, a younger brother and two younger sisters, and our beautiful parents. I have my golden, Fur Ball. I love to cook, I love to bake, I love hair/makeup/nailart, I do a lot of DIY stuff, home decor etc… I try to keep myself busy. But mostly I’ll be holding your hand as we go through 2016 and make it a year to remember!
Love, Nilu ❤